Financial education resources
We encourage financial literacy for our members – that’s one of the ways we’re different from a bank. By providing helpful resources and tips for making informed financial decisions, we help to educate our members and make them smarter consumers of financial products and services.
An educated membership is at the heart of the credit union difference. Use these resources to go beyond the basics of personal finances. Learn how to live debt free, how you can improve your credit score, what to do if you can’t pay your taxes, how to save money on college textbooks and much more.
- Can you afford a 0% interest auto loan?
- Car sale
- Does it make sense to refinance your car loan?
- How to buy a new car
- How to buy a used car
- Smaller payment or shorter term
- How to build a budget
- How to teach your kids about money
- Keep your financial resolutions
- Tax filing tips from Oregon State Credit Union
- Teach kids to set savings goals
- What to do when you can't pay your taxes
Credit and credit score
- Avoid these mistakes when disputing your credit report
- Does having multiple credit cards hurt my credit score?
- Five ways your credit score can affect your life
- How to dispute an error in your credit report
- How your credit score is calculated
- Nine ways to improve your credit score
- Understanding your credit score credit pulls
- What is a credit utilization ratio?
- What is installment credit?
- What is revolving credit?
- EMV chip card frequently asked questions
- Habits of a responsible credit card user
- How to cancel a credit card
- Protect your credit cards when you travel
- What happens when you run your debit card as credit
- When not to use your debit card
- How debt consolidation can reduce your debt and improve your cash flow
- Make a debt reduction plan
- Seven steps to reduce debt and improve your credit score
- Understand your debt
- CD, money market, savings account: Which is right for you
- What is a certificate of deposit (CD)?
- What is a Money Market account (MMA)?
- What is a savings account?
- How to build savings with a CD ladder
- Two reasons to invest in CDs
- What are Member Merits
- Overdraft Protection saves you money
- Avoid fraud and scams
- Avoid scams during the holidays
- Avoid student-focused scams
- Be safe at the ATM
- Beware of fake check scams
- Beware of social media scammers
- Create a strong password
- Educate yourself about tax scams
- Estatements are safer than paper statements
- Five ways to tell if you're being scammed
- Fraud involving credit and debt
- How to protect your identity from email, phone and online fraud
- How to tell if a charity is legit
- Learn how to protect your identity
- Mystery shopper scam
- Our commitment to your security
- Pinless debit purchases
- Protect the deceased from identity theft
- Scamming the elderly
- What to do if you’re a victim of ID theft
- Avoid these harmful home equity practices
- Home buying tips
- How to refinance your home
- Is a home equity line of credit right for you?
- Mortgage rates are great
- Questions to ask before you apply for a home equity loan
- Save money each month by refinancing your house
- Three ways to tap into the equity in your home
- When is a home equity loan or line of credit a smart choice?
Kids and money
- Giving an allowance can teach children good money habits
- Scottie Savers Club teaches children about money
- Access your accounts on-the-go
- Get support within online banking
- Manage your account safely and easily, 24/7
- Big picture costs factor into your choice of RV
- Can I deduct the interest on my RV loan?
- RV buying classifications
- What you need to know before buying your first RV
- Plan for the indirect costs of college
- Scholarship award displacement could reduce your student aid
- The high cost of back-to-school
- Get ready to shred at these free Shred Days
- How long should you keep important documents
- Paper shredding helps protect against ID theft
- Paper shredding helps the environment
- Results from past Shred Days
- Seven secrets about Shred Day
- What should you shred