Financial education articles
We encourage financial literacy for our members – that’s one of the ways we’re different from a bank. By providing helpful resources and tips for making informed financial decisions, we help to educate our members and make them smarter consumers of financial products and services.
An educated membership is at the heart of the credit union difference. Use these resources to go beyond the basics of personal finances. Learn how to live debt free, how you can improve your credit score, what to do if you can’t pay your taxes, how to save money on college textbooks and much more.
- Can you afford a 0% interest auto loan?
- Does it make sense to refinance your car loan?
- How to buy a new car
- How to buy a used car
- Smaller payment or shorter term
- APR and APY: What's the difference
- How to build a budget
- How to teach your kids about money
- Tax filing tips
- Teach kids to set savings goals
- When you can't pay your taxes
Credit and credit score
- Avoid mistakes on credit report disputes
- How to dispute an error in your credit report
- How your credit score is calculated
- Multiple credit cards hurt credit?
- Nine ways to improve your credit score
- Understanding your credit score credit pulls
- What is a credit utilization ratio?
- What is installment credit?
- What is revolving credit?
- Your credit score: 5 impacts
COVID-19 — Coronavirus
- Budgeting in COVID-19 uncertainty
- Coping with Market Volatility
- Protect credit score during COVID
- Scam text claims card blocked
- Card management and control
- Credit and debit card alerts
- Credit cards that meet your needs
- Debit and credit card differences
- EMV chip card frequently asked questions
- Habits of a responsible credit card user
- How to cancel a credit card
- Protect credit cards when traveling
- Save money with a low interest credit card
- Transfer your balances and save money
- When not to use your debit card
- Debt consolidation: Is it right for you?
- Make a debt reduction plan
- Reduce debt improve credit score
- Understand your debt
- CD, money market or savings account?
- What is a certificate of deposit (CD)?
- What is a Money Market account (MMA)?
- What is a savings account?
- How to build savings with a CD ladder
- Two reasons to invest in CDs
- What are Member Merits
- Overdraft Protection saves you money
- Avoid scams during the holidays
- Be fraud aware
- Be safe at the ATM
- Beware of fake check scams
- Create a strong password
- Cybersecurity: make it a priority
- Cybersmart! Avoid these cybercrimes
- Estatements are safer than paper statements
- Five ways to tell if you're being scammed
- Fraud involving credit and debt
- Learn how to protect your identity
- Our commitment to your security
- Passphrase can protect your accounts
- Password best practices
- Phishing: protect your personal info
- Protect kids from cybercrime
- Protect your identity from fraud
- Scam text claims card blocked
- Scamming the elderly
- Shopping safely online
- What to do if you’re a victim of ID theft
- Home buying tips
- Use home equity 3 ways
- Is a home equity line of credit right for you?
- HELOC questions to ask before you apply
- Avoid these harmful home equity practices
- When is a HELOC a smart choice?
- What is a mortgage down payment
- What is LTV loan to value
- Home loan down payment funds
- What is private mortgage insurance
Kids and money
- Big picture costs and RVs
- Can I deduct the interest on my RV loan?
- RV buying classifications
- What to know before buying an RV
- Get ready to shred at these free Shred Days
- How long should you keep important documents
- Paper shredding helps the environment and us
- Results from past Shred Days
- Seven secrets about Shred Day
- What should you shred