How to buy a car: six smart tips
There are a lot of suggestions when it comes to buying a new or used car. We’ve assembled the following tips to ease your car buying experience. Of course, if you need help along the way, stop by any Oregon State Credit Union branch or give us a call at 800-732-0173.
- Calculate how much car you can comfortably afford.
- Get pre-approved at: any Oregon State Credit Union branch, when you apply online, or call 800-732-0173. Pre-approval gives you the advantage of know how much loan you’ll qualify for so that you can focus on finding the right car instead wrestling with and wondering about the financing.
- Research dealer costs: Get to know what the dealers themselves pay for cars so you can estimate how much you are really willing to pay. Keep in mind that the dealerships need to make money too, so don’t expect them to give the car away.
- Visit more than one dealership: Call around and go online to see what dealers have. The key here is to not buy the first car or truck you find.
- Negotiate: Sooner or later you’re going to find the right car at the right price and when you do that's the time to negotiate for the best price. In the negotiation, don’t name the price you’re willing to pay. And if you don’t like to negotiate, do it all online. That way you can examine numbers from your house and take your time.
- Seal the deal: Sign all the paperwork and drive home in your new or pre-owned vehicle.
Go to main navigation